Electrical short blamed in Signal Mountain fire
By Mike Koshmrl, Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Date: November 22, 2012
Firefighters quickly doused a fire at the Signal Mountain Lodge convenience store this week, but not before the building sustained serious damage.
Flames from the fire, first reported around 8 a.m. Tuesday, penetrated the store’s roof in one place, and the building requires “significant repairs” before it will be usable next summer, Grand Teton National Park spokes-woman Jackie Skaggs said. The fire was for the most part moving and smoldering inside the walls, she said.
“It didn’t burn to the ground by any means, but it did sustain significant smoke and fire damage in the interior,” Skaggs said.
The convenience store closed and shut down for the season.
An investigation is under way, but it’s suspected that an electrical short is to blame, Skaggs said.
“No one really knows why — if there was a short — what precipitated the short,” she said.
Skaggs commended crews for preventing what could have been a much worse incident.
“We were able to effect a quick response,” she said. “A ranger was there 10 minutes after the start and structural engine 10 minutes after that.”
Two fire engines and an ambulance from Grand Teton and another three fire engines from Jackson Hole Fire/EMS responded. The ranger who first reported the blaze also was able to assist using a handheld extinguisher.
After arriving, crews were “quickly” able to suppress flames, Skaggs said.